Saturday, July 12, 2008

"Tall Tales" From San Pedro Kalifornia

Well it's official. I now have the tallest corn in the world. I do believe I will contact the people at the "Guinness Book Of Records" now and see if I can make it into the next issue.

Here, in this wonderful shot of my corn on the upper left, you can see my Ferry Morse Silver Queen White Hybrid Corn is beginning to tangle up the power lines here in town. I expect a call any minute from the DWP to make me cut it down. Well you know what - I'm not gonna do it. The South Bay will just have to do without power for a couple of weeks.

What really concerns me is - what if I'm typing in my blog and this massive stalk causes my computer to crash by crashing the power grid here in San Pedro. I'll never be able to finish this pos....

2 comments:

Burnt Toast said...

Nice perspective photograph!

My corn is dead. I side-dressed it three weeks ago and I dunno, I guess it didn't get enough water. I've been traveling a lot and haven't really had the time to properly tend to it. I suppose in effect, I killed it.

Oh well. We have a long season here. I'll have a second round of tomatoes, peppers and such planted if I can ever get off the road.

I tell you, there is nothing more delightful than eating from your own garden. Especially considering the price of food these days. But the flavor. . the flavor. . .

Greasywrench AKA rich b said...

I'm not sure what I'm gonna end up here with this corn. It tasseled about a week before it started producing silks. I shook the piss out of the tassels the last couple of days hoping I'll get good pollination but the timing seems to be off. I usually get silks just a couple of days after the tassels start producing pollen so I'm puzzled this time.

I've also got a supersweet variety of corn growing on my balcony right now that's doing pretty good. I don't know if I'm gonna grow corn for a while after this Summer. It takes up too much space for so little results.

I'm getting some real nice Zucchini and yellow squash right now. I'm gonna charge the A.C. on my Sister's car tommorow and take her a couple of the yellow ones.

I'd love to grow some peppers and okra but I just don't get enough heat and Sun where I am. You're lucky Toast since you live in the South. The only Okra I've seen in years here is canned.

Talke to you later Buddy.